Friday, February 8, 2013

Book 5: The Accidental Billionaires: The Founding of Facebook- A tale of sex, money, genius, and betrayal

Hello, Friends,

I apologize for this very late blog post. I would blame it on Super Bowl weekend, but the closest I got to actually watching the game was when I watched myself inhale half a dozen football-shaped cookies from the delicious Italian bakery near my house. Ah, the sweet, chocolaty taste of victory.

This week's book, The Accidental Billionaires: The Founding of Facebook- A tale of sex, money, genius, and betrayal written by Ben Mezrich and published in 2009, was a quick & easy read. This is not hard-hitting journalism. It's a nonfiction book that contains imagined scenes and patchwork conversations. The author includes a note to the reader with regard to this element of the book on its opening pages. He also mentions that Mark Zuckerberg, the founder of Facebook, declined to comment for the book while Eduardo Saverin, Zuckerberg's original financial backer and business partner turned betrayed ex-best friend, was quite cooperative. This makes for a bit of a one-sided view, which irked me a bit while I was reading.

 Prior to opening the book, I had no idea that it was the basis for the movie The Social Network starring Jesse Eisenberg. I've seen the film, and, after reading this book, it's clear that the movie stayed true to Mezrich's account.This led me to create my first infographic. I'd claim that the time that I labored on this was what delayed this blog post, but.....well, I'd be stretching the truth.....and you'd know it.

Next week's infographic: Do you have too much time on your hands?
Here's the big question: Have you ever read a book, seen the movie adaptation, and thought the movie was (gasp) actually better?

Until next time....

Sharlene Edwards
Program Director

No comments:

Post a Comment